Words of wisdom about women can come only from some other women… I have Dorothy Parker on my mind at the moment but my endless search of wisdom won’t be stopped here, be it light or not.
Why is it, when I am in Rome,
I’d give an eye to be at home,
But when on native earth I be,
My soul is sick for Italy?
And why with you, my love, my lord,
Am I spectacularly bored,
Yet do you up and leave me – then
I scream to have you back again”
(On Being a Woman by Dorothy Parker)
Words of wisdom about men….
- They hail you as their morning star
- Because you are the way you are.
- If you return the sentiment,
- They’ll try to make you different;
- And once they have you safe and sound,
- They want to change you all around.
- Your moods and ways they put a curse on;
- They’d make of you another person.
- They cannot let you go your gait;
- They influence and educate
- They’d alter all that they admired.
- They make me sick, they make me tired.”
- (Men, Dorothy Parker)
„Oh, is it, the Utopian
To hope that I may meet a man
Who’ll not relate, in accents suave,
The tales of girls he used to have?”
( De Profundis, Dorothy Parker)
- ….and roMANce!
By the time you swear you’re his,
Shivering and sighing,
And he vows his passion is
Lady, make a note of this:
One of you is lying.”
(Unfortunate Coincidence, Dorothy Parker)
Last (poem) but not least, my dears:
- „Women wants monogamy;
- Man delights in novelty.
- Love is woman’s moon and sun;
- Man has other forms of fun.
- Woman lives but in her lord;
- Count to ten, and men is bored.
- With this gist and sum of it,
- What earthly good can come of it?”
(General Review of the Sex Situation, Dorothy Parker)
p.s. Dorothy Parker had a major influence& contribution to my diploma paper some years ago! Still does! However, I do think about Her from time to time.